Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Review by Matt Piccirillo

Running Time: 106 min
Rated: PG-13
Opened: June 26, 2009
Matt's Mark: 8 out of 10

If you can handle drama, my pick is the "My Sister's Keeper" from director/writer Nick Cassavetes. It is probably the best drama I have seen this year. Cassavetes tackles the sensitive subject of leukemia in his latest big screen adaptation which is based on the Jodi Picoult novel.The adapted screenplay by Jeremy Leven and Cassavetes is written very well. It exudes many emotions from the cast as the movie plays out. My Sister's Keeper is casted by Matthew Barry and Nancy Green-Keyes and includes a well-known cast with some strong performances. In the film, Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric, playing parents to Abigal Breslin and Sofia Vassilieva, and Alec Baldwin, a very successful lawyer, headline the cast and shine in their roles throughout out the film. But the performance that is the best comes from Sofia Vassilieva who is fighting leukemia. Her performance is not only powerful and moving, but it is very believable. I think she should be recognized with some nominations for supporting actress. However, the editing by Jim Flynn and Alan Heim could be better. Some of the story takes place during flashbacks and that is where I felt the editing didn't work as well as it could have. On the otherhand, the cinematography by Caleb Deschanel brings the film back up. My Sister's Keeper is strong, touching, and moving from beginning to end. I exited the theater feeling peaceful and and a desire to give back. Yes, it may be a tear jerker, but this one's a keeper. - Matt Piccirillo

No comments:

Post a Comment